Sunday, April 20, 2008

Spiritual Heritage

In a conversation with my Dad, I recently learned something about my spiritual heritage... He told me that my Great Gramma and Great Grampa McIver were heavily involved in the building of Glendale Presbyterian Church. In Dad's words, "it was said that the McIver's had paid for the spires on the church building."

We were in the neighborhood this afternoon, so we took a slight detour. We found Glendale Presbyterian Church @ 125 Louise St.... where it's been since 1925.

We snapped a couple of pictures outside, including this one indicating the churches founding in 1922.















I noticed a "custodial and cleanliness technician"* emptying trash... I've never been one to shy away from a conversation with a stranger, so I approached him and asked if what was standing today was the original building. Harmon shook his head and said "No, that building was destroyed in the Sylmar Quake." (1971)

He then let me into the building to look at this picture of the original building... Notice the spires!














Harmon did say that the only remaining structure from that original building is the basement. He said the walls of the basement are three foot thick concrete. I guess there's something to be said for building on a solid foundation!




*Janitor

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool!

Can I start calling you Dr. Jan Itor?

http://www.zazzle.com/hodgepodgeink/product/235930005747096504

Anonymous said...

Just hope some really knowledgable old timer from Glendale dosen't get ahold of this, it could lead to a spiregate.
Good to stay in touch.