Saturday, February 23, 2008

DCS Auction

Janelle and I went to the DCS Auction last night. In DCS terms, it is the biggest fundraiser of the year. This was the 19th annual auction. It was a great time to see people and share a little bit about what we're doing. Janelle calls it schmoozing. I call it networking. Whatever it is, we had a good time.

It has been fun to see the look on peoples faces- the look that says: "I know that's Jon McIver, but he's in Iraq or Tennessee.... he shouldn't be here!" A few people recognized me, but struggled to place the name. I guess I look a lot different than I did a few years ago.

I also had fun messing with the DCHS football players. They were walking around selling brownies, cookies, soda, etc. Instead of just buying from them, I asked them DCHS history/trivia questions before I would buy from them. I think I entertained the whole table as they watched the boys scramble to find the answer from some of the "old guard" staff of DCS.

It's good to know that some things never change. Dale, Dean, Glenn, Ramah Lee, Heather, Dave, Devon, Patti, Beth, Cecil... praise God for your long term ministry at DCS!

1 comment:

Dancingwater said...

Hi Jon!! What a blessing to know you guys are doing this. My kids were involved in something similar, I can't remember the name, at Ft Benning and it was a life changing experience for them. Especially my daughter. She was having such a hard time with finding friends, and the kids at school were so mean to her. But at this club, I think it was called club beyond, she found friends and they did everything together, so I have to say WAY TO GO. With your personality and your precious family Jon, this is right up your alley. I pray the Lord bless you and Janelle and the kids in all area's of your life. I told Janelle on her blog, we are moving to Alaska. It seems the Lord wants me there. We'll be there for probably about 5 years. Here, at Ft Hood, I've gotten training as a crisis pregnancy peer counselor. It is a huge blessing to help women in crisis situations. I imagine I'll continue with that in alaska. We are going to Ft Richardson. God Bless Jon and I miss your cooking. Especially your guacamole :) Kim